Coastal Palms Nursing & Rehabilitation skilled nursing home in Portland, TX serves Corpus Christi and the surrounding areas. Our expert rehabilitation therapy team helps our patients and residents regain health, reduce the risk of injury and decrease functional decline. Our highly-trained physical therapists at Coastal Palms help people thrive whether they’re with us for short-term skilled nursing care, rehabilitation therapy for an illness or injury, or compassionate long-term care. We believe that physical therapy plays a pivotal role in helping seniors thrive and lead active, fulfilling lives. Here are five benefits of physical therapy for seniors:
- Increased Mobility – Physical therapy helps people maintain or improve mobility by increasing strength, flexibility and balance. This allows seniors to perform daily activities more independently. By using targeted exercises and an individualized approach to care for every person, physical therapists can create customized routines that help meet the needs of each person they treat.
- Pain Management – Pain medications can have unwanted side effects and don’t treat the root cause of pain. Physical therapists work to treat the source of pain that comes from conditions like arthritis, muscle pain or other conditions. PTs use techniques such as manual therapy, heat or cold therapy, traction, ultrasound or electrical stimulation to help decrease pain without medications. This allows seniors to live their daily lives more comfortably.
- Reduced Risk of Falls – According to the CDC, about 36 million falls are reported among older adults each year. Physical therapists help seniors at skilled nursing facilities improve their balance, muscle strength, range of motion and flexibility, which reduces their risk of falls. This helps seniors improve their safety and their confidence.
- Management of Chronic Conditions – People with chronic conditions such as Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, COPD, diabetes, osteoporosis and arthritis can all benefit from physical therapy. Physical therapists help seniors with these conditions manage their symptoms through approaches that strengthen muscles, improve range of motion, help them maintain balance, control weight or blood pressure, reduce joint pain and more.
- Quicker Recovery – Being sedentary after surgery or illness can cause loss of mobility and other problems. Physical therapists help seniors resume movement safely, which means that they can get back to their daily lives more quickly and with fewer lasting health problems.
The Touchstone Difference
The caring physical therapy team at Coastal Palms Nursing & Rehabilitation is dedicated to helping patients improve functionality and meet their individual goals. Whether you or a loved one is recovering from an illness, injury or surgery, our rehabilitation therapy team can help. Contact our team at Coastal Palms to schedule a tour.