October is Long-Term Care Planning Month, and it’s the perfect time to think about how you and your family members want to approach the need for long-term care services if the need arises. It’s easy to put off thinking about these details until the need for skilled nursing or long-term care occurs. Still, according to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, about 60% of people will need assistance with activities of daily living at some point in their lives. Taking the time to think through preferences and plans before the need is urgent is one way to ensure your quality of life as you age. This blog will discuss the importance of long-term care planning and five ways that it will set your family up for success.
- Maintain Independence – Everyone wants to preserve their independence for as long as possible. By planning ahead, you can consider options such as in-home care, assisted living, skilled nursing and long-term care options that will cater to your specific needs and preferences. This allows you to have input into important care decisions and make choices that align with your values rather than waiting until a time where someone else may have to make the choice for you.
- Financial Security – Although Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance provide some coverage for long-term care, there are limitations. If you plan ahead, you can consider different financial options, such as long-term care insurance or personal savings to ensure you have the resources to cover the type of care and assistance you want without jeopardizing your financial security.
- Reducing Family Burden – No one wants to burden their family, but without proper planning, caregiving or decision-making can fall on the shoulders of your family members. Making choices ahead of time will not only take pressure off your family, but it will allow you to make your preferences known so that they can support you more easily when the time comes.
- Access to Quality Care – Planning ahead gives you the chance to research the skilled nursing and long-term care options that are available near you. You can even take the time to tour different communities, read reviews and make an informed decision about where you want to receive care.
- Peace of Mind – Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, long-term care planning gives you and your family peace of mind. Knowing what to expect and the steps to take will reduce the stress and anxieties of planning for care during a health emergency or will simply help reduce uncertainty about the future.
Long-term care planning has many benefits. It helps you maintain independence for longer, supports financial security, reduces the burden on family members, helps you choose quality care providers and gives you peace of mind. Taking the time to plan for your future is a gift you can give your family – and yourself.
Touchstone Communities offer skilled nursing and short-term care, long-term care, memory care and rehab for seniors. For more information, call 210.828.5686 or fill out our contact form.